Thursday, December 07, 2006

Immaculee Ilibagiza - An Inspirational Person

The other day I was watching the television, and Wayne Dyer was on talking to a live audience on the theme of Inspiration. He was talking about some of the people who inspire him, and one of them was Immaculee Ilibigiza.

Immaculee Ilibagiza grew up in a country she loved, surrounded by a family she cherished. But in 1994 her idyllic world was ripped apart as Rwanda descended into a bloody genocide. Immaculee's family was brutally murdered during a killing spree that lasted three months and claimed the lives of nearly a million Rwandans. Incredibly, Immaculee survived the slaughter. For 91 days, she and seven other women huddled silently together in the local pastor's cramped bathroom, measuring three feet by four feet, while hundreds of machete-wielding killers hunted for them. The triumphant story of this remarkable young woman's journey through the darkness of genocide will inspire anyone whose life has been touched by fear, suffering, and loss. 'Left To Tell' is Immaculee's first book.

Wayne Dyer brought Immaculee up on stage and she spoke for a few minutes about her ordeal, and how she learned that it's important to forgive in spite of horrific actions like those in the Rwandan Holocaust. This isn't a book I have read, but after I'm finished with my current book it will be next.

What I also thought about was the fact that this lady inspired an inspirational man in Wayne Dyer, and it made me re-think about how I should begin living my life to be an inspiration to others. If I could inspire those who inspire others, then I'm really beginning to spread some good in the world.

It's always about taking small steps, and I'm taking those. Somewhere along the line I will take a big step, maybe that will be today... maybe tomorrow.

No comments: