Monday, January 08, 2007

Birthday Reflections

Birthdays are a great time to reflect on life, probably the other key time of the year together with New Years. I'm lucky enough to have all my reflecting over and done in the first week of January.

Today is my birthday, and I couldn't sleep last night thinking about stuff. I thought about the last year that's flown by. I've watched my daughter grow up. I worked another year at the same job. I took a painting class and created twenty new paintings and had an exhibit. I started this blog and set myself some goals for creating a book. I travelled with my wife and daughter to Australia for three weeks. I read a bunch of books. I made some new friends. I started meditating, and I'm starting to see things with my third eye, including energy, visions and auras. I took a tarot card reading class.

I guess I did a few things differently this year, although I feel like I could have done a lot more. But I thought about how many people didn't do different things last year, and how many of those don't plan on changing it up for 2007. I think it's a terribly sad state of affairs.

What's the point of life if we don't make changes... if we don't grow and develop? I think I would be a very unhappy individual if I was forced to stay the same forever. Part of the adventure of life is the ability to discover what mysteries it has in store.

If we maintain a status quo and not make any progress, and simply keep on doing what we've done, we'll keep getting the same mediocre result.

Why is it that we don't treat life like people treat game shows?

There's a program that airs here called Deal or No Deal. For those who haven't seen it, the contestant is confronted with 26 sealed briefcases full of varying amounts of cash - ranging from one cent to $1 million. Without knowing the amount in each briefcase, the contestant picks one -- his to keep, if he chooses - until its unsealing at game's end.

The player then eliminates the remaining 25 cases - which are opened and the amount of cash inside revealed. In each round, after a pre-determined number of cases are opened, the participant is tempted by the "Banker" to accept an offer of cash in exchange for what might be contained in the contestant's chosen briefcase - prompting the host to ask the all-important question - Deal or No Deal?

As each case is opened, the likelihood of the player having a valuable cash amount in his or her own case decreases or increases. The contestant knows that as long as the larger cash prizes haven't been opened, the Banker's deals will only get higher. And if the conflicted contestant accidentally opens a case with a bigger cash value - the Banker's offer could suddenly evaporate.

What's most interesting about this game is how far the contestant will push the limits. When faced with an offer of $100,000 from the banker, most people push on, hoping to expose the lower amounts and therefore get a bigger deal offer. It's really amazing what sort of risks these people are prepared to take. I'm sure the adrenalin surge brought about by being on national television, the hyped-up crowd and having family members cheering at the side all contribute to getting the contestant to go further than they ordinarily would.

But why can't people go that far on a regular basis? Why can't people take risks in life like they do on television game shows? If people behanev on game shows like they do in life there'd be no game shows. Who'd want to watch someone take the first measly offer on Deal or No Deal? Would you care to see someone walk away with $25,000 and leave 20 un-opened cases? What would you scream at your television if you saw that? Honestly, you'd think they were crazy... and they probably would be.

Then why do people live their lives the same way and everyone agrees it the most appropriate way to live?

Life is there to be lived actively. Go out an try something new! Take a risk! Make a new friend!Experiment with something! What's the worse that can happen? You could enjoy yourself. You could find something you actually enjoy doing. You could find a new passion. You could have an enriched life with new people a part of it.

Experiencing life through the television and vicariously through others is a passive, unfulfilling way to live. Getting out there and doing it for yourself is where the big enjoyment comes. Just like you wouldn't take a measly $25,000 offer from the bank and leave twenty un-opened cases on Deal or No Deal you should do that where it really matters either... in your life.

No comments: