Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Does spiritual growth change who you are?

It's an interesting question. Everyone is at their own level of spiritual development in life, and life is about stages, and gradual changes. For me the last five years, but especially the last two have been a time of gradual change. I have already mentioned that it hasn't been a time of rapid movement through a life-changing moment.

It's an evolution. Reading books, listening to tapes, going to seminars and classes, speaking to people, and making new contacts with people who are going through or have gone through this journey of spiritual awakening.

But through all this I haven't changed. Well, I have changed, but not completely. Essentially I am still the same guy, the same husband, the same Dad. My sense of humour is the same, my interests by-and-large are still the same, and I still look, sound and act basically the same. If you didn't know me well, you wouldn't know anything had changed.

Sure, I'm taking better care of myself. I eat less, and drink less coffee and alcohol. I read books now related to the spiritual world, rather than on marketing and business. So some things have changed, but I haven't changed.

Life is about change. Life is by definition an evolution. It's when we don't change that we become old. Like an old fashion.

What's happening as I unlock my spiritual side is that I am bringing my higher self to a plane that is with me, rather than away from me. I'm joining my physical self with my spirtual self. I'm adding to what I've already got, not necessarily changing it.

People change and life goes on. Everyone is evolving in their own way, and we aren't all on the same path to enlightenment and happiness, and that's what makes this journey even more exciting.

No comments: