Thursday, August 31, 2006

Eating to live healthily

Last week I began a new way in treating my body. I fasted on Monday and Tuesday so that I would be able to feel my stomach.

I've always been the kind of guy to eat everything on my plate, take seconds and then clean up whatever my wife couldn't finish. My problem is that I eat so quickly so I don't feel the food going into my stomach, and I don't recognise my stomach feeling full, until I've eaten so much that I'm "stuffed".

And really, what's the point of that?

Why not eat only what I need. The evidence is in front of me when I look the mirror. If I feed my body what it needs then it will respond with the right weight for my body.

The only link that has ever been made to living long is a low calorie diet.

Since leaving Australia I had gained just over 30 pounds, unfortunately not all muscle. The reason was simply that the food portions in Canada are larger than in Australia. So I had become accustomed to eating more on a regular basis, and slowly slowly my weight increased. The colder weather also meant I spent less time outdoors contributing to my reduced fitness.

So an adjustment was required. Even before last Monday I had begun to re-assess what I put in my mouth, and I can say that as of today my weight is down 18 pounds from its peak. It's all a matter of re-training the eye and the brain to be in sync with what the body really needs.

No comments: